Monday, July 17, 2006

i'm not white but that's not the point

I just don't get it. First of all, I don't understand why some people insist on being defined by their race. Secondly, I don't understand why race continues to be an issue in this country. I feel as though the last couple of days, I have been reading a lot about racial tensions since the murder of a British politico in G-town last week (with the exception of this great post on the popularity of the Confederate flag in NJ). What I read on a recent DCist comment thread about this murder is a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) implication that black = crime. I was shocked by such blatant racism. Some samples:

  • "If I am walking to my home in my predominantly white neighborhood after midnight and approach a group of young African-Americans I am naturally (and logically) concerned only with correlation."
  • "we should continue to overlook the undeniable correlation between race and violent crime. We won't be any safer on the streets for doing so, but at least our consciences will be more secure in their cocoons of white guilt."
The comments at AmericaBlog were just as bad (and frankly unnecessarily alarmist). So, what does this say about the people in this area reacting to this crime? People who claim to be open-minded really harbor innate feelings of racism and prejudice? The thought of that possibility scares me.

Believe me, I've experienced my fair share of racism. Let's see...there was the time (while working at the Crap) that a woman called me "The White Devil" when I wouldn't let her buy the items that another customer had placed on hold. Or the time that these women were criticizing me in Spanish ("Gringa, blah, blah, blah") and had no idea that I'm Mexican (and fluent in Spanish). Or how about when Jesse and I went to NYC on our third date and while on the subway ride to Yankee Stadium, a young kid muttered to me under his breath, "White Bitch!" (presumably because I was with my boyfriend who's black and I'm not).

My question is: At what point do we all become colorblind? What needs to happen to eliminate the barriers caused by race? Why do we still judge others by the color of their skin? Exactly what does a person's skin color say about the individual person?

The answer is nothing. My skin says nothing about me (other than the fact that I wear sunscreen regularly and avoid tans like the plague). My skin doesn't tell you that I'm a girl who was born in Orange County, California of Mexican immigrant parents who came here (legally) to provide my siblings and me with a better future. My skin doesn't tell you that I worked really, really hard to get full scholarships to both my private, Catholic high school and USC. My skin doesn't tell you that I saved every penny I had to move to DC and advance my career. My skin doesn't tell you that I've fought and I've struggled and I've earned every award, every accomplishment in my life.

So, please don't judge people on the color of their skin. You really don't know anything about anyone beyond that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just happened upon your link. Thought I'd post a comment.

I think you're right--skin color is irrelevant (mostly). When you talk about people reacting to a group of black youths on a quiet street--well, this is profiling more than racism, and let's face it, profiling works. It's an effecient and easy way to keep safe, even if it means you sometimes mislabel and judge people unfairly.

Beyond that, people should not evaluate people on the basis of race or color. I grew up in Louisiana where people were either black or white--no in between--and black was anyone with a drop of African blood in their ancestry.

I grew up in that setting, but never thought I could be classified as one or the other. I eventually left the South and the US altogether and discovered that, that whole binary perspective of the world was simply a localized (American) construct. The whole concept of black/white was practically non-existent in the other places I lived--Hawaii, Japan, South Asia, etc.

There really is no such thing as black and white in the larger world.

an orange county girl said...

profiling is racism in my book. I do appreciate your perspective. Thank you for your input.