Friday, October 6, 2006

pot is good for you, i swear

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t smoke. I have never smoked a day in my life. Which also means that I’ve never had any experience with pot. I’m not some kind of straight edge type of girl. I am just so turned off by smoking and my father’s death from lung cancer certainly doesn’t encourage me to start lighting up.

I’ve been a proponent of the use of marijuana for medical purposes for a while now. Thankfully, my favorite state (Cali, in case I haven’t told you a hundred times) has already allowed for this and I hope that someday many other states will follow. I do believe (and studies show) that marijuana can actually help people deal with the pain from chronic disease and cancer. So, in the future, if I’m in my death bed with a cancer-ridden body, smoking a joint certainly can’t hurt, right?

For the first time in my life ever, today I thought, “Hey maybe pot isn’t so bad.” Besides it’s pain relieving properties, it can actually stave off Alzheimer’s!!! According to CNN.com, “New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.”

Since Bush is anti stem cell research to help find a cure for diseases such as Alzheimer’s, perhaps he should be open to legalizing pot so that we can all prevent Alzheimer’s one day. Unfortunately, hell will probably freeze over before any president considers legalizing pot.

It’s just a plant. And it’s all natural. And good for you, like aloe vera I guess.

I smell a public health campaign. "Smoke pot—your brain needs it."

No comments: