Friday, November 3, 2006

ding, dong! the bitch is dead

Last night was the season premiere of “the OC.” And you might be expecting DC’s expert on all things OC (that would be me) to review the show. I hate to disappoint anyone, especially my faithful blog peeps. But TV reviews are just not my thing. However, I am more than happy to share my opinions.

Josh Schwartz, "the OC"’s creator and executive producer, is a USC alumnus. Although not from the OC himself (I think he’s from Rhode Island), he was inspired to create the show by watching his fellow students at USC. Apparently, he thought the students who hailed from the South (south of L.A. that is) came from a totally different world—one of wealth and drama apparently, by the looks of the show. As much as I love that he used my home…"county" (I guess) for inspiration, the show is actually filmed outside of Orange County, mostly in Malibu and other L.A. beach communities.

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with "the OC" since it started. I hated that the show was perpetuating the OC stereotype of prejudiced rich kids who don’t have anything better to do than drink, do drugs, and have sex. It took me a while to get over that (actually, I did know a few Newport Beach kids like that) and I decided to watch the show (especially since so many of my friends were watching it). So, I started to really get into all the drama but I couldn’t get over what a bad actress Mischa Barton (Marissa Cooper) is. Every time Marissa was on the screen, I reached for the remote and almost pushed “mute.” She was god awful.

By the 3rd season, the show had lost a lot of its “luster.” The plot lines were either contrived or incredibly unbelievable. Mischa had yet to improve her acting. The show, with all of its plot line twists and turns, became tiring. Yet I continued to watch. I had to support the show. How many people out there can say that there is a successful TV show about their home town/county?

So last night’s episode wasn’t that bad actually. Ultimate fighting Ryan Atwood was a bit of a stretch. I’m sad that Summer and Seth are having trouble in paradise. I love that Caitlin (Marissa’s little sis) is on the show and kinda blackmailing her mom’s boyfriend for clothes and shoes (every mini fashionista’s dream). But most importantly, I am so glad that Marissa Cooper’s dead. At least I won’t be subjected to Mischa Barton’s crappy acting skills. And I’m happy that she’s finally getting those acting lessons in London.

I don’t think I’m ready to give up on this show yet. This is rumored to be the last season, so I may just stick it out until the end (insert Jesse cringing here)….

Especially since Marissa Cooper’s dead.

2 comments:

Law-Rah said...

I LOVED the season premiere!!! I actually teared up during the comic book slideshow.

an orange county girl said...

ah yes. the slideshow was especially poignant.