Monday, January 8, 2007

a big loss for the Trojan family

Last night, the body of Trojan kicker Mario Danelo was found at the bottom of White Point Cliff in San Pedro, CA. He was only 21 years old. Investigators are speculating that it was possibly an accident or suicide.

I can't imagine why it would be suicide. In Danelo's entire college career, he only missed two field goals. He may have missed two point after attempts in the Rose Bowl, but that wasn't typical of him. In 2005, Danelo set a record for points scored (83, I think) and number of point after attempts. He was talented. Granted, I don't know Danelo personally, but if it was suicide, I can't imagine why he would take his own life.

Whether it was an accident or suicide, it is still a tragic loss for his friends, family, and the Trojan family. My thoughts and prayers are with his family as they try to deal with this devastating and unexpected loss.

image courtesy of Getty Images


UPDATE 1/8/07: There's a great article about Mario Danelo in the LA Times today. I encourage you to check it out.

No comments: