Wednesday, October 10, 2007

there's never a dull moment on public transit

I slept for over 10 hours last night. It was a bit broken up (i.e. 10 non-contiguous hours of sleep), but clearly my body needed it. I’ve been pretty stressed lately and I’m just feeling overwhelmed in general. Sleep does a body good.

So when I left my building today to get on the bus, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ART bus was already approaching. Woo hoo! No long wait for the bus today. I popped in my iPod ear buds and happily got on the bus. Eventually, as the bus cleared out, a seat opened up. I looked around to see if any older persons might want that seat and saw a bunch of guys standing. Seeing as that I was the only girl left standing, I took the empty seat without any guilt. First, I didn’t have to wait for the bus. And now, I have a seat. This was starting to look like the perfect morning.

While dancing provocatively to “Gimme More” in my head (yes, I am a Britney Spears’ enabler), I noticed that a very happy man got on the bus. He was smiling from ear to ear for some unknown reason. But seeing as that I was having a happy day too, Happy Man’s smile made me smile. I was having a really good morning for the first time in a long time. I thought to myself, I deserve this. I really do.

My stop was coming up and I stood up to call for the next bus stop. Seeing as that I was already up, I decided to go stand by the door so I could exit quickly. Happy Man was standing at the door as there were no available seats. When I stood next to him, Happy Man began to belt out, “You are so beautiful to me…”

Wha? Eh? Was he actually singing to me? I took a look around the bus, but Happy Man was singing to no one but me. Normally, this kind of extremely public display of ‘affection’ would totally freak me out, seeing as that it was coming from a complete stranger. But not today. As the bus came to a stop, I smiled at Happy Man and said, “Thanks.” Why? Because his song was the icing on the cake of a perfect morning.

And then I got to work and saw that I would be spending half my day in meetings.

Ugh.

At least my morning was perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) 10hrs sleep. Sigh, yes, I. am. very. jealous.(esp. after the five+ hour flight delay fun) Need. new. job. now! :p

2) I'm so glad this story ended up being a happy one - was kind of worried at first when I saw your title - "Return/vengeance of the scorned bus driver"? ;)

Random question: why is it that (some) people on PST think that working hours for them = working hours for (some) people on EST? (need new job now :p)

Anonymous said...

How 'bout that Reggie Bush, huh?