Monday, March 3, 2008

how to make your boss happy

I used to work a job that didn't make me happy. It wasn't what I wanted to do. And after many years of working in something that I didn't want to do, I finally found that one job that I really want to do. And let me tell you--it's hard work. On top of all that, I get paid peanuts for what I do. But, that's not why I do it.

In my previous job (where I was unhappy), the work was incredibly dull and unchallenging. That sounds like a line for a job interview but for me it was true. With each day, I hated it (and myself for staying there) more and more. Certainly there was more out there for me.

Like every other job I didn't like, I still excelled. I'm not the kind of person to do things half-assed. I'm either completely committed or I'm not. And despite my unhappiness, I was committed. But I needed a reason to do my job, something other than pay. I wanted validation. I hoped that someone would take notice that I was working hard. I wanted some recognition.

I never got it.

So now I'm doing something I love. And feedback is still pretty hard to come by. But I'm not really seeking validation and recognition any more. I do my job because I love my job. And loving my job makes me happy. Therefore, doing my job makes me happy. I know that I do good work and that's all that matters. Whether or not someone notices is irrelevant.

I was in the middle of a project today when one of my counselors walked up to me and said, "I've been noticing the work that you do and I just wanted to tell you that you're doing a good job." I looked at her flabbergasted. I quickly composed myself and sheepishly said, "Thanks." She continued, "No really. I'm glad you're here." It was all I could do to keep my lower jaw from falling to the floor.

And I know that I certainly don't need any recognition at my new-ish job, but hearing that totally made my day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! Congratulations! I'm so very happy for you :o)

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

Congrats, I know how you feel - where I am now - its little recognition - it sucks.

Love the Catster pic of Dominick so cute