You know, the last thing I wanted to do was post something remotely negative right before a nice long weekend (and the day before a USC game too), but this is what McCain drives me to do.
As a real feminist, I am offended by McCain's choice. Sarah Palin is definitely not qualified to be VP, let alone President in the event that something happens to McCain should he be elected. And considering all the brouhaha from McCain's camp about how 'inexperienced' Obama is, I am shocked that McCain would select Palin as his running mate considering these qualifications:
- She's 44 (age ain't nothing but a number)
- She was mayor of an Alaskan town with a population of about 800
- She has been Alaska's governor for less than two years.
- She was runner up in the Miss Alaska pageant. However, she did win Miss Congeniality (no joke, kids).
- She has 5 kids, one of which is 17 and pregnant.
- She doesn't think the polar bears are in any danger of extinction.
- She favors drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- Her husband works for the oil industry.
- She's being investigated for possible abuse of power (damn, she hasn't even been in office that long!).
- She's staunchly pro-life and her claim to fame is making a big deal over not aborting her youngest son who has Down Syndrome.
I can't help but thinking that McCain's decision is based on one thing only. No, not Palin's beauty pageant good looks. No, not her affinity for skirt suits (which the pundits at
Obviously she was picked because she has a vagina.
And McCain presumes that this means all those PUMAs and other bitter Hillary supporters will flock to him.
Well, guess what. This feminist, who actually prefers the government not telling me what to do with my body and wouldn't mind an equal wage and equal treatment, will not be voting for Palin's vagina just to put McCain's ass in the White House.
I expect other true feminists to do the same. In the words of another true feminist: No way, no how, no McCain.