Thursday, April 15, 2010

tax day 2010: i'll gladly pay for civilization

As you know, today is Tax Day and generally that means some kind of protest. DC is all about the "taxation without representation" protests which I totally support. While I'm sure those protests are still going on, they are overshadowed today by the only real Amurrican tax day protest--The Tea Party Protest.


Thankfully, I no longer live on the Hill (and OMG, I really dreaded the anniversary of Roe v. Wade because of the swarms of teeny boppers telling me what do with my body). Since I work in a non-touristy part of town, I will probably get to avoid them all together (unless they are on the Metro, in which case I may be tempted to punch educate a tea bagger).

I don't know about you but I'm pretty happy about my taxes this year. Don't get me wrong. I've never really begrudged Uncle Sam. I will gladly pay for public schools, road maintenance, and law enforcement (among other things). However, this year I am actually getting a nice return...for the first time in a long time.  And for that, I am very grateful to our president.

I hope Uncle Sam was good to you as well.

5 comments:

dmarks said...

When you consider how much is wasted. we pay way too much in taxes. Come on now, do we really need a program to give free healthcare to rich people? That's just for starters.

dmarks said...

"I really dreaded the anniversary of Roe v. Wade because of the swarms of teeny boppers telling me what do with my body)."

Actually, that issue is about the child's body. Do what you want with yours as long as you don't kill another person.

an orange county girl said...

dmarks: ok, i'll bite. no, i don't think we pay too much in taxes, especially when 47% of us get a refund. who's giving free health care to rich people? nothing is truly free, you know.

also, i don't believe a fetus is a 'child' so yes, i'll keep doing what i want with my body. and i'll respect that you feel differently.

dmarks said...

The SCHIP program, marketted as something for needy children, actually also goes to adults who are quite well off.

"also, i don't believe a fetus is a 'child' so yes,"

Then you are redefining things on the fly. Ever hear of the term "with child"? That's just for starters. It's a child whether or not we think it is.

"i'll keep doing what i want with my body."

Which is a different subject than abortion.

"and i'll respect that you feel differently"

Fair enough!

an orange county girl said...

last bite. in the history of SCHIP, 10% of those who received care under it were adults. most of those adults were pregnant women. don't you think we should support those women so that they won't be so financially burdened by a pregnancy that they would be able to carry a fetus to term? you know, to prevent more abortions???

also, you must be at or below 200% of the poverty level in order to qualify. that is far from wealthy.

as far as the saying 'with child', that doesn't prove anything. i'll continue to rely on science over a common saying.