Sunday, July 30, 2006

why am i doing this? i forget

MySpace. I've never been the slightest bit interested in joining. I figure it's the new friendster and I'm rarely on friendster (actually, the first version of this blog was on friendster and that was probably the most time I ever spent on it). I know that MySpace is supposed to be a big deal right now (at least in some circles). But I just don't get it.

I'm not quite sure why anyone's into it. You sign up, create a profile, add a pic, and then add friends. And then you rank your friends (which frankly could be insulting to some). And then you post messages and stuff. You talk about what you like and what you think is cool at the moment. That's the gist, right? Yup, that doesn't sound very appealing.

I think that if I was Amanda's age (she's 15 and my neice), MySpace would be the coolest thing ever. Actually, I know for a fact that she thinks it's the coolest thing ever. When I told my family about my blog, Amanda got really excited and asked me, "Are you on MySpace?" I replied, "No" while trying to hold back any feelings of condescension. She looked incredibly disappointed. I didn't know you could blog at My Space, but I've seen seen some MySpace pages and some of them are pretty ugly. Sure, OC girl is a little pink, but at least I don't have obnoxious images all over the page, making it difficult to read anything.

Jesse joined MySpace not too long ago. He did it because his friend, Ashish, told him to (I wish I had Ashish's power of persuasion). He continues to go to MySpace to keep in touch with his friends. I could understand that.

Last night, while out with my boys, Rudy asked me if I was on MySpace. I told him no and then he begged me to join. Roo Roos has made some friends through MySpace who share his interests in music (which he expresses on his page). I asked him to sell me MySpace. Why should I join? Initially, he replied, "I don't know." But then he thought about it and went into how great it is to make friends there and how people you knew in high school look you up and you can see how they're doing now. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want any of my high school friends looking me up. They could be Republicans for all I know.

Come on. I already blog. What else do I need to do to be cool? I thought blogging was sufficient. And I love blogging. I can't see myself loving MySpace.

Oh, Roo Roos. I'm such a sucker. It's hard to say no to you. If anyone is interested, here's my MySpace page.

If you're on MySpace too please add me as a friend. I've got no friends right now and I'm feeling kinda lonely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes we all succumb at some point for whatever reason.

I will add ya!

an orange county girl said...

thanks, sharkie!