Sunday, September 17, 2006

best separation saturday EVER

I live for college football. Yesterday, I ate, slept, and breathed, college football. Jesse and I started our Saturday at 10 am with ESPN College Gameday. Gameday was extra special yesterday because they were at USC for the USC/Nebraska game (I guess the schedulers totally missed that #3 Auburn and #6 LSU were playing each other). To start off the day, Jesse and I had his friend Rusty over to watch football. We watched the VA Tech/Duke game and the Notre Dame/Michigan game and the LSU/Auburn game before heading out to Baileys to catch the USC/Nebraska game. Here are some highlights:

  • Duke and football just don’t get along. Duke should just shut down their football program and focus on basketball and lacrosse (and women’s soccer). It must really suck to be them and play football in the ACC. The only conference they might be able to win a game is the Big East. Yeah, I said it.
  • Sponsorships are lame. Come on now. The 1st Down linemarker is now brought to you by Ruby Tuesdays? Are the networks not getting enough money from commercials that they have to ruin the game with a commericial on the field?
  • Game of the season so far: ND/Michigan. I was really praying for Michigan to step up its game and beat the Irish. Apparently God was listening. Oh and Brady Quinn…I’m sorry your O-line sucks. You can blame them for your 3 sacks, but not your 3 interceptions and fumble. Well, maybe you can…
  • The most exciting game that only scored one touchdown: Auburn/LSU. With defenses like that, I’m glad you’re not on USC’s schedule. Damn. That’s the biggest compliment I could give another program ever.
  • Thankfully not as close as I had previously hoped (for like a second): USC/Nebraska. I was hoping for a nailbiting type of good game, but got a solid victory instead. Well, we do have some kinks to work out in offense but our defense won that game for us. It’s like I’m watching the 2003 Trojans (that won our first national title) all over again. And frankly, that’s exciting.

standing up straight sux. it makes my boobs look like weapons.

So to celebrate Separation Saturday, I invited a few of my closest friends to watch the game with me in a big room full of Trojans. If you’re a DC Trojan and you were at Bailey’s last night, I was part of the big group in the front corner that had all the non-Trojans. The following schools were represented in my group: Virginia Tech (and not just Jesse who was looking every bit the proud Trojan in his USC t-shirt), Oregon (and they brought quackers), Nebraska (my friend Ann and her boo Paul who I kept apologizing to every time USC did something good), Georgia, Michigan (and although she wasn’t the biggest football fan, Kate was excited about Michigan winning), Michigan State (oooh…my boys), NC State, and Catholic (do they have football there?). By the end of the evening, my friends were cheering for ‘SC (except the Cornhuskers) and some of them even did the V for Victory with me at the end. It was so beautiful I wanted to cry.

No comments: