Thursday, January 15, 2009

music to get you in the mood for change...

Ding, dong, Bush is nearly gone!

Honestly, I have tried so hard to resist doing a countdown to the end of the Bush Era and I think I've done a pretty decent job so far. And then I got inspired to write this post after my Just How Crappy was Bush as President post. I swear, my posts this week are not a countdown!

Anyhoo...are you finding it hard to accept the change in command on Jan. 20th? Are you dreading the traffic clusterf*ck and Metro Hot Mess (TM) that is inevitable this weekend? Do you find the uptake in tourist numbers scary?

Come on, now! Obama is going to be our new president. And Bush will be gone. Forever (please, God, please!), I hope. And speaking of hope, that's what Obama is all about, remember (well, that and change)?

So how about an inaugural soundtrack to get your mind off of how the inauguration might suck (you know, logistically) and how awesome it is to have a new president not named Bush...

No tribute to the end of the Bush era would be complete without Ms. Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools




Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin

At the peak of my Bush hate, I rocked out to Incubus' Megalomaniac many times



Megalomaniac - Incubus

*Jesse submission alert* Someone I heart thinks this song would be a great way to kick off the weekend



Celebration - Kool and the Gang

And, well, you have to have this one on your list for obvious reasons: Sam Cooke's A Change is Going to Come



A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

And for you rap enthusiasts, there's "Black President" by Nas



Black President - NaS

And speaking of rap, I have to have Chicago's own Common with his Obama tribute, The People



The People - Common

It's hard to ignore the historical significance of Obama's election. U2's Pride (In the Name of Love) is a nice reminder of how far we've come



Pride in the Name of Love - U2

And who can forget the distraction that was the ObamaGirl, with her song I Got a Crush on Obama?



I Got A Crush On Obama - Obama Girl

And speaking of silliness, how about the Obama variety show song, Solid as Barack (courtesy of SNL)?


Finally, at least 80% of us are happy he's finally leaving office and for us, there's this song, which is the perfect Bush kiss off. I present to you, GWB (F* You Very Much) by Lily Allen (it's a happy song, I promise...however, the chorus is NSFW)



GWB (F*ck You Very Much) - Lily Allen

Oooh...that was fun! 

I realize music isn't going to keep Metro from effing up big time this weekend but I do hope this list helps you get into the inauguration mood!

No comments: