Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I heart Gwen


It's actually a beautiful day in the District today and, seeing as that I lived in sunny, perfect Cali for most of my life, I have high standards for "beautiful." I usually don't throw those words around when it comes to DC weather, but I'm very happy with today's weather. Spring is definitely here, what with the warmer temps, cherry blossoms, and green trees. Yes, Cali peeps, the trees actually look dead here during the colder months. So when you're like going past the woods in the winter and there's nothing but dead-looking trees everywhere for as far as the eye can see, it's very, very depressing. No wonder seasonal depression is a real problem.

Today's post is dedicated to my boo, Rene, who recently contacted me (don't worry, boo, I'll write you back after this). I love how Rene associates me with Gwen Stefani. Incidently, the title of my blog comes from Gwen. Yes, it is in fact doubly unoriginal--one because yes, I am from the OC as EVERYONE knows and two because it is the title of a Gwen Stefani song which will be on her second album. The only time I've heard the song was at the Gwen concert back in November, and I was probably the only chick in the crowd that understood her OC references. Naturally, I was able to relate to the song as I can relate to most of Gwen's songs. "Just a girl" is a classic angsty girl song without sounding angsty. "Ex-girlfriend" helped me get through quite a few breakups. "You're so Foxy", a B-side recording, is easily the soundtrack to the early stages of my relationship with Jesse. Oh and "Long way to go" from her solo album is all about interracial relationships so that is OBVIOUSLY a song I relate to. As you can see, I am a big lyrics person when it comes to songs and I appreciate that Gwen's songs come from the heart.

So, for those of you who are living under a rock, Gwen is having a baby and I am so happy for her, as is Rene. It's something that she's wanted for awhile and I'm sure it's going to be one of the cutest babies in the world--my neice, Serena, is the cutest. For a shot of the very lovely pregnant Gwen check out Gwen's baby shower.

A final note on Gwen, she is still working on a follow up to her 1st solo album (featuring the song, "I'm just an Orange County girl") and there is word that No Doubt will be getting back together to record another album!!!! This awesome news makes this OC girl very, very happy!

So on to some sad news (for balance). Two fine late night establishments in DC have closed their doors forever. The first is Polly Ester's in downtown. It was one of the first clubs in DC where I successfully used my fake ID during the summer I interned. My favorite floor was the 80s floor and I remember dancing wtih this cute boy (nowhere near as cute as Jesse) who was impressed with my ability to sing every word to the song "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order. Were the 80s not cool in the late 90s? Anyways, BLT is a classic and probably one of my favorite 80s songs. And the only public place where I've danced to that song will forever be Polly Ester's.

The other sad club closing is Ziegfield's. Ziegfield's is the site of my first drag show and also the site of the only gay strip club I've ever been to (it's also a place where I ran into Rene a few times). I do strongly believe that "strip club" is a misnomer, because stripping suggests that the men were actually wearing clothes at some point and I do not recall the presence of clothing. Ziegfield's was also the place where I received much adulation from the gay crowd who always complimented me on my hair/outfit/accessories/make-up. Not only was Ziegfield's a good self-esteem boost, but it was also a guaranteed good time on a Saturday night. I will miss it.

No comments: