Monday, September 25, 2006

college football is taking over my saturdays

Although Separation Saturday has come and gone, this past Saturday continued the tradition of providing excellent college football. I started off my day by watching Gameday at 10 a.m. I was surprised to see that the Gameday guys were at Ohio State again, especially since they were playing an overrated Penn State team. I felt that the better Gameday location would’ve been Michigan State (not because I wanted them to beat Notre Dame so badly) because that was a better match up. Oh well. I do not pretend to know what the Gameday guys are thinking when they schedule a particular location.

Jesse and I then went to Baileys and hung out with his fellow Hokies for the VA Tech/Cincinnati game. We decided to take a break, go home, watch the Ohio State/Penn State game in between naps and then head back out to Baileys to watch the USC/Arizona game and the Notre Dame/Michigan State game. Lucky for us, the two games were in the same room at Baileys.

On to oberservations:

  • First off, I fear for the Hokies and their not-so-strong offense. I know that VA Tech isn’t really known for putting up big numbers in terms of scoring, but I was concerned that Cincinnati was actually hanging in there. This should’ve been a shut out, in my opinion. However, a win is a win. Go Hokies!
  • I can’t believe the Ohio State/Penn State game was actually close (if you don’t think so, then you probably only watched the last 5 minutes). I was really hoping that Penn State could pull it off, mostly because I can’t wait too much longer for Auburn to lose so that USC could be #2. First, Penn State couldn’t beat Notre Dame. Then they couldn’t beat the Buckeyes. Way to let me down, Nittany Lions…
  • Will the ESPN guys please stop talking about the Michigan Wolverines like they are the Cornhuskers of the 90s? Ok, so they beat Notre Dame last week. That doesn’t mean they're about to start a dynasty. If Michigan can beat Michigan State and Iowa and Ohio State, then, yes, they are worthy of being in the top 5 (top 3, even). Until then, I don’t wanna hear it!
  • (Look away, MK!) So, Notre Dame pulled off the comeback of the year against Michigan State. I really have no idea what happened to the Spartans. They dominated that whole game up until the last 10 minutes. It was disturbing to see it all unravel so quickly. But what bothered me the most was hearing Kirk Herbstreit’s analysis after the game. He said, and I’m paraphrasing here, that this would be the game that turned everything around for Notre Dame. He also said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Notre Dame has only one loss by the time they play USC. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have one loss by the time they play us either. Why? Because we are the only other ranked team they play and we won’t meet until the end of November. Until then, they’ve filled their schedule with the likes of Stanford, Army, Navy, and UNC.
  • And finally, my beloved Trojans beat the Arizona Wildcats. I said last week that our defense is awesome. On Saturday, our defense had some interceptions, 5 sacks, and a blocked field goal. Suddenly, we’re the Hokies of the West. Coach said that this is a very different offense and it’s taking me a while to get used to it. It’s not nearly as explosive as it used to be, but our defense is kicking ass. Now if we had just scored another field goal, I would’ve been happy with the score.
Like last week, I loved watching the game with my fellow DC Trojans! We are quite the loud bunch with our SoCal spellouts and fight song singing. The highlight of the evening, including USC’s victory, was meeting blog peep, Rob, a DC Trojan who recognized me as OC girl. I was completely dumbstruck that you recognized me (what with my flat hair, glasses, and very little make up on) but I felt warm fuzzies because you know me from the blog. It was so great to meet you.

Oh…and Fight On!

1 comment:

Mary Kate + Joe Battles said...

I have no idea how we pulled off the win on Saturday, either. That was quite a nail biting game. I thought we were toast.