Friday, September 8, 2006

Off to the OC: thoughts on a train

Finally, at 5:13 pm (PST), I left work. My time at the conference came to an end. It was great to work it and I met a lot of wonderful people and I hopefully made a number of valuable connections. But I’m tired. And it was clearly my turn to finally get a break.

I am fortunate enough to have a family who didn’t want to drive over 2 hours in traffic to come pick me up in La Jolla (sarcasm? Yes.) So, I’m taking the Pacific Surfliner train. Normally, I wouldn’t care to take the train anywhere. However, I’m excited about taking the Surfiner because its track runs down the California coast (it runs parallel to the 5 from San Diego to Orange County, more or less). I may not be home for long, but at least I get to enjoy the great view from my train seat. The view is perfect right now. The sun is setting over the water. The dozens of surfers in the ocean look like ants floating on debris. People are starting their beach bonfires. Ah. I finally feel like I’m home.

So, I think the boy sitting behind the seat in front of me (his seat faces mine so we can see each other’s reflections in the mirror) is checking me out. I feel as though I get checked out more often now that I’m not available (actually, I know that to be true). Jesse hates it, of course. I don’t really care. For all I know, that boy could be checking out my suit and appreciating its fine tailoring. Or perhaps he’s digging my hair (as quite a few gay men do). Speaking of hair, tomorrow is the big hair change of 2006 (in my head it looks drastic, so I hope it comes out that way). I’ll definitely post before and after picks when I get back to DC.

So, yeah, I’m in a suit because I went straight to the train station from the meeting and my suit is my meeting attire. I wasn’t too concerned about changing out of my suit because I’m sure my family is gonna get a kick out of me in a suit. My mom will take one look at me and be proud. Her baby has finally made it. Currently, I think I may be the only person in Southern California wearing a suit (that isn’t a co-worker of mine). I know they don’t wear suits in San Francisco, so it’s possible that I may be the only person wearing a suit in the state. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s true.

Sneak preview for next week: my new hair, my encounter with Chris Mooney (minor DC celebrity), and pics of my adorable niece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration with having to take the train. I live 45 minutes from Chicago, and every time I fly home, I have to take the bus there. There is no other option. Man, so nice to roll up home on a bus. :) At least you had a great view! Excited to see some before/after pics!