Monday, October 2, 2006

eff you, kirk herbstreit

Ahhhh…another college football Saturday has come and gone. This one came with a few surprises and a major upset. Ugh.

Here’s my weekly college football update:

  • I know this happened on Thursday, but Auburn barely beat South Carolina (that other USC). I was pretty surprised and just a bit disappointed that South Carolina couldn’t pull off the upset. However, Auburn didn’t look that strong and they just lost their veteran center (sprained knee) and they’ve already lost one of their tight ends (broken ankle) for the season. As you already know, I’m counting on Auburn losing eventually, so USC can move up to #2.
  • Ohio State kicked some Hawkeye ass. The Buckeyes dominated that game throughout. Poor Iowa didn’t have a chance. OSU looked really good out there and it was an away game for them. If they stay undefeated (their next challenging game would be the one with Michigan to close out the season), they should win the BCS championship. However, I still want USC to go to that game, even if we’ll lose.
  • So, Notre Dame killed Purdue. Big shocker. However, they let Purdue score 3 touchdowns. I’m thinking their defense is looking pretty weak and will definitely become exploitable by November 25th (the big USC/ND game). I’m thinking that their big test will be Stanford. If they let Stanford score, then the defense sucks. Brady Quinn had a good game on Saturday, but I’m still not convinced that he’s Heisman material.
  • Poor Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, they lost to Georgia Tech. All I kept thinking about was those first 3 TD’s GT had at the start of the game. Without those, VA Tech would’ve won. I’m not sure what happened to the Hokies’ defense. They literally stepped aside so Calvin Johnson could score. And their offensive line was horrible. Look, we all know that Sean Glennon is a crappy quarterback. But what do you expect him to do if you don’t give him time to throw?
  • Despite Kirk Herbstreit’s prediction during GameDay (the inspiration for the title of this post), USC won. However, my mighty Trojans didn’t look so mighty against Washington State. I’m thinking WSU did their homework. I have no idea what happened to our defense. As I’ve mentioned in the past, our defense has been winning our games for us. But we’ve had a couple of injuries and we looked really weak against WSU. When the Cougars had the ball, they made scoring look easy. Every time USC scored, WSU answered back with a drive of their own. It was embarrassing and hard to watch. Thank God for that last minute interception!
  • I’m gonna have to dedicate another bullet to USC’s offense. Why? Because they finally looked good. Steve Smith took it up a notch while Dwayne Jarrett stayed at home nursing an injury. He looked like the Steve Smith that I remember who had 3 TD’s in the Orange Bowl 2 years ago. In addition, the offense faced a number of 4th down and 3rd down and long situations and still managed to get the first down. Now all we have to do is get the defense to play like before and the offense to play like Saturday (or better) and we’ve got a national championship caliber team.

Finally, I feel the need to explain myself to the people of Blacksburg. I’m not gonna apologize for going to Sharkey’s and asking that they turn to the USC game on one of their TVs. Nor am I going to apologize for the USC game being on the big screen. And I’m definitely not apologizing for cheering (loudly) for USC during the game. And I’m not sorry I wore my USC sweatshirt to brunch on Sunday. I know that you think it’s odd for someone in your cute little college town to be cheering for a school that beat you 3 years ago, especially when this person was wearing a VA Tech t-shirt Saturday. So I feel that you should know the truth.

I’m a Trojan first and a Hokie second. Underneath my orange Hokie shirt, I bleed cardinal and gold. I got so excited about college football Saturday that I actually sang the USC fight song while walking to Lane Stadium (for the record, I was sober).

People of Blacksburg, I apologize for the confusion.

1 comment:

Mary Kate + Joe Battles said...

I'd like to see Auburn lose, too. That'd be great.

The Buckeyes are by far the best team out there. As my honey says, "God wears a sweatervest."

USC scared me at the beginning, but they pulled off a nice win.

My Irish and my Buckeyes don't have any challenges until the last game of the season... we'll see how it goes.

But it's been a GREAT football season so far!