Tuesday, June 12, 2007

i’m going back to cali, cali, cali

I mentioned a few weeks ago how much I missed home. And I still do. I miss home so much my heart aches. Especially when I get phone calls from my 2-year-old niece, Serena Rose.

A few days ago, my sister called me. Unfortunately, I was working and the call went to voice mail. When I finally checked it, I heard this…

My sister: Hi, Liz. I don’t know where you are right now, but we just wanted you to know that we were thinking of you. Someone wants to tell you something.
Serena Rose: (muffled sounds) Hi, MAH-NEE-NAH…MAH-NEE-NAH!
My sister: Go ahead, Serena.
Serena Rose: OK, bye-bye.

* Not only am I Serena’s aunt, but I am also her baptism sponsor, AKA her godmother. The Spanish word for godmother is ‘madrina.’ Obviously, Serena couldn’t say it right so she called me her ‘manina.’ It was the first time I had ever heard her call me that (which probably means she just learned how to say the word).

wheee!
I gave her those sunglasses. Doesn't she look like a little diva?

Needless to say, that message just about broke my heart. I saved it, just so I could hear it over and over again. It pains me that all of these milestones keep happening and I’m not there to witness them.

Besides moving, what are my options? Well, I could visit. Jesse and I had been thinking about going somewhere for our upcoming anniversary. Last year, we had gone to San Francisco and we had a lot of fun there. Why not kill two birds with one stone? Since I desperately want to go home and Jesse and I want to travel somewhere that doesn’t involve a wedding, Jesse and I are going to Cali!

So, we’re going to catch an Angel game and a Padres game since I love my Angels and they’ve been kicking ass lately. I’m sure we’ll hang out in San Diego (Jesse’s favorite city in Cali). We’ll hopefully go to Catalina Island and stay somewhere romantic to celebrate the anniversary (belatedly, but that’s ok). And of course, we’ll spend some time with Serena. Hopefully, she’ll be a little less afraid of Jesse this time around.

I CAN'T WAIT!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun! Yay for California!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm jealous.

Hope you both have fun! San Diego is my fave too. Sigh..

Really cute pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

your niece is such a cutie pie! ~erika

Beakerz said...

Have a great great time!!!

I miss it so much

an orange county girl said...

madame m.--yes, yay for Cali! i can't wait. granted, i've got 30 days to go, but still. perhaps i'll add another countdown widget to the blog...

sunchaser--thank you. i heart SD too. if i moved back home, i would move to SD. it's far enough from my family where they wouldn't be able to visit every day. and everything about SD is just about perfect!

erika--thank you. i agree. she is adorable. i can't wait to give her a big hug when i see her again.

beakerz--thanks. i'm hoping that we will. jesse and i started looking at baseball tix yesterday for the games we want to go to. let the planning begin!

Lindsay said...

Have fun in CA. I miss going to Angels games!

And I know what you mean about missing all the milestones. It's tough living 3000 miles away from home.