Tuesday, July 10, 2007

sometimes you just know…

Two years ago, I was sitting on my boo’s bed while he worked on the computer and my sister called. She was very, very upset. She had just had her first and (what will prove to be) only fight with her boyfriend of the moment, Mr. I-Love-You-After-Three-Dates. And they hadn’t spoken since. It had been a week since their fight. Apparently, she felt that I was the right person to turn to help her understand her boyfriend’s behavior.

I sat there and I listened to my sister go on and on about how she couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t return her calls. I tried to convince her that she needed to wait for his call and it was likely that he wasn’t going to call back at all. It took her a while to accept this. In the meantime, she proceeded to go on and on about what a jerk her boyfriend was during their relationship. While my sister was venting, I looked over at Jesse, who was working furiously on some website. He looked back at me and smiled. While I was still on the phone with my sister, Jesse caressed my cheek and went back to work. And that was when I knew.

As Jesse pulled his hand away, I had an epiphany. Instantly, I began to look at Jesse differently. I knew then that what I have with Jesse is truly unique. The love I feel for him is unlike anything I had ever felt for any other guy in my life. Jesse is truly special. He’s a good guy with an equally good heart. He’s a man of integrity and intense loyalty. And he cares for me. This man loves me despite all of my faults (and he is very aware of my faults). I knew then that I had found The One.

Since I was still on the phone with my sister, I tried to comfort her. I felt really bad for my sister, yet incredibly grateful that Jesse is nothing like her boyfriend. When I had calmed her down, my sister promptly got off the phone with me, wanting to sort out her thoughts on her own. I took this opportunity to share my epiphany with Jesse.

Jesse asked me, “Is your sister ok?” I replied, “Yeah, she’s going to be. I think she’s finally starting to realize that her boyfriend is bad news. She’s better off without him.” Jesse answered, “Yes she is. I’m glad you helped her see that.” “You know what? She helped me see something,” I said. With curiosity, Jesse asked, “Oh yeah, what’s that?” I told him, “I realized that you are a really special guy. I will never find anyone like you. You’re everything I never knew I wanted in my life. I love you so much and I know that I will never feel this way for anyone else ever in my life. You’re The One.”

I’m sure Jesse wasn’t expecting this declaration from me at this particular point in our relationship. But I had never been more sure of anything and I wanted him to know it. It’s not like I’ve never been open and honest with him before. Still, he was surprised. But he left his desk and came over to the bed where I was sitting. He held me in his arms and I melted away. And right before I got lost in his embrace, I told him, “Look, I know that you’re not sure if I’m The One for you. And that’s ok. I know that one day you will realize that I’m The One. Until then, I’ll wait.”

Last night, while melting away in Jesse’s arms yet again, Jesse proved me right and I stopped waiting.

4 comments:

Mary Kate + Joe Battles said...

wait... WHAT?! what what what?!?!?!?!??!?!

an orange county girl said...

mk--oh lordy. i wish.

baby steps!

Anonymous said...

vunderbar! -Erika

Anonymous said...

"Jesse wasn’t expecting this declaration from me at this particular point in our relationship" haha!

Yay Jesse! :)