Tuesday, August 15, 2006

we’ve got a long way to go

This weekend Jesse and I attended a Nats game. They lost, of course. I believe that it is in our destiny this year for the Nats to lose every game Jesse and I attend (we’re currently 0 and 5 so far). It wasn’t too bad. After all, we’re starting to expect those losses so it wasn’t a total disappointment. At least we got to see Soriano hit a home run. And I’m pretty happy about RFK’s recent improvements (next time I’m definitely getting those loaded nachos from the terrace food court thingy). Heck, even the giveaway, a Washington Nationals/Potomac Nationals sports “bag”, wasn’t so bad. Oh no. My letdown of the day didn’t happen until after the game.

Jesse and I kinda lingered around the stadium for awhile before we made our way to the Metro. Walking a few yards behind us were a group of kids, probably not that much younger than Jesse and me (24, 25). And since they were a few yards behind us, I found it really strange that they were talking loudly enough for us to hear what they were saying. Especially since ignorance was spewing from their mouths like water flowing from a faucet.

“Lesbians. There are different kinds, you know. There are the kind that dress well and that guys like to see together. And then there are the dykes. Dykes are the kinds of lesbians that don’t shower for days. They just don’t take care of themselves. They are hairy. They don’t groom themselves. They smell. They’re the worst…”

At this point, I notice that Jesse is trying really hard to get my attention again. He’s heard them too and knows me well enough to know that their blatant and loud display of ignorance really bothers me. He says, “I know, I know. I can hear them too. They’ve probably been drinking.” I reply, “That’s no excuse. I can hear them clear as day. It’s offensive.” Jesse says, “You know. This reminds me of last time we were on our way to the Metro from a Nats game.”

Ah yes. I different display of ignorance.

A few weeks ago, after some other game that the Nats lost, Jesse and I were walking behind a woman on a cell phone on our way to the Metro. She was older, well-dressed, and alone. Loudly, she appeared to be talking about a coworker. Jesse and I had been talking and we weren’t paying attention to what she was saying. During a break in our conversation, we overheard the woman say, “…well, you know, she’s black so it’s not like she’ll ever get fired. She’ll cry discrimination before that happens.”

Jesse and I were in shock. Did she really just say that? In the year 2006? With dozens of people within earshot, some of them black?

At what point did ignorant, racist verbal diarrhea become acceptable in public? Do they feel any guilt for not only thinking this way but also saying it out loud? I try not to let this kind of stuff get to me, but it does. I have yet to become desensitized to prejudice. Why does this stuff still surprise me? Why is it so shocking to hear?

Maybe I still have faith in people. Undeservedly so.

No comments: